Leaderboard Ad

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Gratitude Journal

A little bit late for a Thanksgiving thought, but better late than never...

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to folks in the US. I was just wondering whether this holiday is exclusive to the North Americans. Wouldn't it be a nice idea to have an International Thanksgiving Holiday? For one, I'd be thankful that I wouldn't have to go to work.

But seriously, having a personal thanksgiving habit I think is good for the soul. I once watched an episode in Oprah as she talked about the idea of having a gratitude journal. The idea is simple: get something to write on, and everyday find at least three things you are grateful for, then write it down. They don't have to be something spectacular; sometimes it's the small things we take for granted that would make up the list. The point in the exercise is being able to see, in spite of the daily stress, what good things you've received for the day. It gives us a chance to realize that we're actually more fortunate than others; that it's just that we're too tired and distracted with worry that we fail to see the nice things done for us, and around us.

Sadly I don't practice what I'm preaching here, but I think I should start setting aside some time for it (probably like every Mondays, or every first day of the month). A good time would be during the commute to the office. What's in it for us? A happier, more grateful and positive disposition no less. And I bet the person I say thanks to would also appreciate it.

Let me start a quick one:
  1. I'm grateful for my industrious wife for the best homekeeping work ever. I virtually don't have to do a thing at home!
  2. My pretty daughters who dance my stress away.
  3. My parents and family for an always wacky and feastful get-together.

There, that felt good! Try it out some time... if you're not too busy.

Oh, and in case you feel you're way behind financially, you bet you are! Check this out.

In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy. --Albert Clarke

Thank you for reading.

No comments: